UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – No. 14/15 Penn State welcomes – / RV Maryland for a meeting with the Big Ten on Saturday at Beaver Stadium. Kick-off is set for 3:30 pm on FOX. Penn State’s 2022 football season is presented by PSECU.
HISTORY OF THE SERIES: Penn State meets Maryland for the 46th time in the program’s history. The Nittany Lions possess a 41-3-1 lead in the all-time series. Penn State took a 31-14 win over the Terrapins last year at College Park. Sean Clifford he threw for 363 yards and three touchdowns. Jahan Dotson had 11 catches for 242 yards and three scores. Ji’Ayir Brown helped seal the game with an 87-yard pick-six.
STOPS BEHIND THE LINE: Penn State equalized a program record with 16 tackles lost to Indiana. The Nittany Lions equaled the score set in 2018 against Kent State. Penn State also recorded six layoffs. The Nittany Lions recorded eight tackles per loss and three layoffs in the first quarter and ended the first half with 13 tackles per loss. Eleven different Nittany Lions have had tackle by loss, the highest in a game for Penn State since tackle by loss became an official statistic. In the season, 21 different Nittany Lions have at least one full tackle per loss and 12 have at least one layoff.
FORCED TAKEAWAYS: The Nittany Lions forced three takeaways against the Hoosiers, all interceptions. Dani Dennis-Sutton, Daequan Hardy And Kalen King everyone had a choice. The three interceptions preceded three Penn State touchdown drives. Penn State has forced 17 takeaways this season, including 10 interceptions and seven fumble steals.
FRESHMAN RBS FIND THE END AREA: Kaytron Allen he scored on runs of 11, 6 and 6 yards against Indiana, while Nicholas Singleton scored on a 1-yard run. Both freshmen upped their season total to eight quick touchdowns, equaling the Penn State freshman record set by Noah Cain in 2019. Allen’s three scores against Indiana are the highest of a PSU freshman since three by Austin Scott against Kent State in 2003.
THE OPPOSITION: Maryland is 6-3 overall and 3-3 in Big Ten action. The Terrapins fell 23-10 in Wisconsin last Saturday. Maryland held a total of 189 yards. Taulia Tagovailoa threw for 77 yards and connects on a 5-yard touchdown with Tai Felton. Roman Hemby ran for 66 yards. Beau Brade led Maryland with seven tackles, while Greg China-Rose had two sacks and Tommy Akingbesote added one sack.
GIVE THE NUMBERS
- 1.101: Sean Clifford has 1,101 yards of career pass in three previous games against Maryland.
- 16: The Nittany Lions had a record 16 tackles slated to lose to Indiana.
- 11: Penn State had 11 different players who had recorded at least one loss tackle to the Hoosiers.
- 8×2: Kaytron Allen And Nicholas Singleton everyone has eight quick touchdowns this season, tied for the PSU freshman record.
- 500 + / 8 +: With Allen and Singleton, Penn State is the only two-player FBS school with over 500 running yards and 8+ running touchdowns this season.
- Michael Locksley is in his fourth full season as head coach of Maryland.
- Maryland are 6-3 overall and 3-3 in the Big Ten this season. Maryland fell 23-10 in Wisconsin last Saturday.
- Terrapins conference wins over Michigan State (27-13), Indiana (38-33) and Northwestern (31-24).
- In attack, Maryland is fourth in the Big Ten by scoring (31.4 ppg), fourth in total attack (425.4 ypg), fourth in attack (260.7) and seventh in rushing attack (164.8).
- Maryland ranks third in the conference by completion rate (68.6) and red zone offense (93.8), ranking in the nation’s top 10 in both categories.
- QB Taulia Tagovailoa is fourth in the Big Ten in passing yards per game (259.8) and fifth in passing touchdowns (14).
- RB Roman Hemby is second in the league in yards per carry (6.17) and sixth in running yards per game (83.0).
- In defense, the Terrapins are ranked eighth in defense of the score (24.0), 10 in total defense (377.4), 11 in passing defense (239.7) and 10 in running defense (137.8 ).
- Beau Brade runs Maryland with 60 tackles, while Durell Nchami leads the Terrapins with six lost tackles and Greg China-Rose leads the team with four sacks.
- Tarheeb Still leads the Big Ten with an average return of 8.7 points.
- Penn State is now 24-2 all-time against Indiana, including 10-2 at Bloomington.
- With eight quick touchdowns this season, both RB Kaytron Allen and RB Nicholas Singleton I’m even for the Penn State freshman record held by Noah Cain (8; 2019).
- Allen’s three quick touchdowns are a Nittany Lion’s maximum from Journey Brown’s three goals against Rutgers in 2019.
- Allen is the first Penn State freshman with three quick touchdowns in a game since Austin Scott against Kent State in 2003.
- Penn State ended the game with 16 tackles per loss and six sacks.
- The 16 tackles by loss are the most closely linked in the history of the program. Penn State had 16 tackles per loss to Kent State in 2018.
- The Nittany Lions had 11 players who had recorded at least one tackle per loss. The 11 players with full tackle by loss are the most playing for Penn State since tackle by loss became an official stat.
- Penn State ended the first half with 13 tackles per loss and six layoffs.
- With three pass breaks in the day, Penn State now has 63 for the season. The 63 pass breaks are the most numerous by Penn State since 74 in 1998.